Independent Advisory Group: Coronavirus powers
On 9 April 2020, it was announced that an Independent Advisor Group (IAG) would be set up to review Police Scotland's use of new temporary police powers to tackle coronavirus.
The Group is Chaired by John Scott QC and will report directly to the Scottish Police Authority, as the governance and oversight body for Police Scotland. Urgent actions identified as part of the Group’s considerations will be discharged as necessary.
The Group are currently meeting weekly and reporting at the Authority's monthly meetings. Copies of all reports presented by the IAG can be found on the IAG Public Reports page.
- 9 April 2020: Human Rights Lawyer to assess use of new emergency police powers
- 17 April 2020: Independent Advisory Group holds first meeting
- 13 July 2020: Letter to SPA Vice Chair - subject: face coverings
- 4 August 2020: Independent Advisory Group Webinar
- 12 February 2021: Letter to the Cabinet Secretary for Justice - subject: quarantine and border controls
- 23 February 2021: Response from the Cabinet Secretary for Justice
- 22 March 2021: Football-related policing