To watch the public meeting, visit our live stream channel at the following link:
CLOSED SESSION (11.30 - 12.30)
1. Chair’s Opening Remarks - Vic Emery, Chair, SPA
- Declarations of Interest
- Matters Arising
2. CLOSED MINUTES for APPROVAL - Vic Emery, Chair, SPA
2.1 Minutes: Closed Board Meeting held 26th March 2013
ITEMS FOR APPROVAL
3. Police Scotland Major Events - Police Costs - ACC Bernie Higgins, PSoS
4. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
5. Chair’s Opening Remarks - Vic Emery, Chair, SPA
- Declarations of Interest
- Matters Arising
STANDING ITEMS (Part 01)
6. MINUTES for APPROVAL - Vic Emery, Chair, SPA
6.1 Minutes of Board Meeting held 26th March 2014
7. Review of Rolling Action Register - Vic Emery, Chair, SPA
ITEMS FOR APPROVAL
8. Amendment to HR and Remuneration Committee Terms of Reference - Jeane Freeman, SPA Board Member - Paper withdrawn (to be presented at June Board Meeting).
9. COSLA Evaluation Scheme/Police Scotland Market Supplement Policy - John Gillies, Human Resources Director, PSoS
Reference Action SPABM021013-009. Police Scotland’s proposed Market Supplement Policy presented at the HRRC Meeting on 16th April for onward Approval to SPA Board Meeting.
10. SPA Members Code of Conduct Policy - John Foley, Chief Executive Officer, SPA
11. SPA Scrutiny Programme for 2014/15 and 2015/16 - John Foley, Chief Executive Officer, SPA
Approval of scrutiny topics going forward. Draft paper tabled at Members Meeting 17th April.
12. Post Implementation Benefits Review - Susan Mitchell, Director of Corporate Services, PSoS
Reference SPABM-26024-013: Members requested a report on the defined benefits of reform and the progress against each of them. Agreed that this would be a combined report. This report was carried over from the March Board Meeting and the draft paper presented to Members Meeting on 7th April.
13. Police Scotland Corporate Strategy – SPA Governance - John Foley, Chief Executive, SPA
Reference SPABM-260314-012 Members requested a proposal on the Governance and Scrutiny of the Police Scotland Corporate Strategy. Proposal to include how progress and performance will be measured and monitored. Paper submitted for reading in support of action log
STANDING ITEMS (Part 02)
14. Health, Safety and Wellbeing - John Gillies, Human Resources Director, PSoS
This section has been updated to reflect the numerous actions noted in the action log. Additional detailed data and metrics are expected to be brought forward as per the commitment undertook and noted in the action log. In addition, Reference SPABM-301013-001 Health, Safety and Wellbeing Policy: John Gillies to present the detail behind the draft Police Scotland HS&W Policy.
15. Human Resource - John GillieS, Human Resources Director, PSoS
This section has been updated to include additional data and metrics as per the commitment undertook and noted in the action log.
Management Accounts will not be presented this month as it is the beginning of new financial year
17. Chief Constable’s Report - Sir Stephen House, Chief Constable, PSoS
17.1 Local Area Commander Report for Lanarkshire - Superintendent Richard Thomas, PSoS - verbal
18. Chief Executive’s Report John Foley, Chief Executive Officer, SPA
19. Forensics Tom Nelson, Director of Forensic Services, SPA
ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD
20. Commonwealth Games & Impact on Local Policing - ACC Robertson, PSoS
Reference SPABM-210813-004: Members requested a report be presented back to the Board on the implications of local policing and the work-around plans in place during the CWG. Note that HMICS are also concluding their review which of the Commonwealth Games which may have an impact on business as usual.
21. SPA Stop & Search Scrutiny Review: Task Group Update - John Foley, Chief Executive, SPA/Brian Barbour, SPA Board Member
22. C3iR Update - Chief Superintendent Val Thomson, PSoS
Reference the various actions from 30th January. Carried over from March Board Meeting.
23. ANY OTHER COMPETENT BUSINESS - Vic Emery, Chair, SPA
24. ITEMS FOR READING
24.1 Police Budget 2014/15: Allocation of POCA Monies - Janet Murray, Director of Finance, PSoS
Reference SPABM-260314-006. Members requested additional detail and analysis to be provided on how POCA money will be used and allocated within Police Scotland. Agreed this action was considered critical so as the use of POCA monies is not misrepresented and the public has visibility of its use. Detail presented to Members Meeting on 17th April, summary paper provided to Board Meeting to support action log.
24.2 Police Budget 2014/15 - Janet Murray, Director of Finance, PSoS
Reference SPABM-260314-008 Paper tabled to support the action which reports the savings from the reform programme 2011/12 and pro-rata forward to demonstrate how much of the £1.1 Billion has been achieved thus far.
24.3 Accident Injury Statistics February 2014 - John Gillies, Human Resources Director, PSoS
Reference SPABM Action 260314-012 John Gillies to speak to the Divisional Commander of the G Division for further detail on the 40% increase on officer injury and advise back.
24.4 Stress Management - John Gillies, Human Resources Director, PSoS - Paper for Members only, restricted document
Reference SPABM Action 260314-014 John Gillies to address and report on the Wellbeing elements and also provide a report on absence within Police Scotland due to stress.
24.5 Policing Costs of Party Political Conferences - ACC Bernie Higgins, PSoS - Papers for Members only, restricted document
Reference SPABM Action 260314-017 The Chief Constable to bring forward a more detailed report on the status of recovering costs and costs incurred from ‘UK’ events and conferences, noting the devolved regulations.
24.6 Police Scotland Fuel Costs - Janet Murray, Director of Finance, PSoS
Reference SPABM Action 260314-022 The management accounts for 2013/14 indicated an overspend against budget on Transport costs and in particular fuel of £0.610m against budget. Members requested clarity to the underlying trends associated with this cost and in particular, if there was an issue regarding price or volume.
24.7 VR/ER Situation Update and Police Staff and Officer Departures - John Gillies, Human Resources Director, PSoS
Reference SPABM-26024-001 ‘Consolidated and ‘latest position’ report of the VR/ER status across Police Scotland to be provided to Members. Report should also highlight both the HR (headcount) and Finance (money) position and demonstrate that they correspond as well as include the use and value of the reform money. The report should also provide a commentary on the numbers (headcount and financial) of individuals who have left the organisation of their own accord. Draft paper tabled for discussion at the Members Meeting on 17th March for open discussion and subsequently a summary paper to the Board for Noting in April.
24.8 Forensic Services Variance Analysis Report Tom Nelson, Director of Forensics Services, SPA
Reference SPABM-260314-018 Tom Nelson to provide a commentary advising the reasoning behind the Forensics’ overspend.
APPROVED BOARD MINUTE
Approved Board Minute - 30 April 2014