Public Board meeting - Selkirk

Date:
25 June 2014
Time:
13:00 to 17:00
Location:

Victoria Halls
Scott's Place
Selkirk
TD7 4LN

AGENDA

CLOSED SESSION 
1. Chair’s Opening Remarks, Vic Emery, Chair, SPA
-  Apologies
-  Declarations of Interest
-  Matters Arising
 
2. CLOSED MINUTES for APPROVAL, Vic Emery, Chair, SPA
2.1 Minutes of Closed Board Meeting held 30th April 2014 

3. CLOSED MINUTES for NOTING, Vic Emery, Chair, SPA
3.1 Minutes of Closed Finance and Investment Committee held 12th March 2014
3.2 Minutes of Closed Finance and Investment Committee held 24th February 2014
3.3 Minutes of Closed Finance and Investment Committee held 31st March 2014
3.4 Minutes of Closed HR and Remuneration Committee held 26th February 2014
3.5 Minutes of Closed HR and Remuneration Committee held 11th March 2014
3.6 Minutes of Closed HR and Remuneration Committee held 16th April 2014
3.7 Minutes of Closed Complaints & Conduct Committee held 12th March 2014
3.8 Minutes of Closed Complaints & Conduct Committee held 28th February 2014 (SPA Members ONLY)
3.9 Minutes of Closed Complaints & Conduct Committee held 12th March 2014 (SPA Members ONLY)
3.10 Minutes of Closed Complaints & Conduct Committee held 2nd May 2014 (SPA Members ONLY)
3.11 Minutes of Closed Audit & Risk Committee held 10th March 2014 

4. SPA Risk Register, Graham Stickle
FOR NOTING Standing Item that is reported to the SPA Board Meeting every quarter.  Last report was given at the Board Meeting held 26th March 2014.
 
5. Police Scotland Risk Register, Susan Mitchell, Director of Corporate Services, Police Scotland
FOR NOTING Standing Item that is reported to the SPA Board Meeting every quarter.  Last report was given at the Board Meeting held 26th March 2014.
 
6. SPA Annual Review of Policing, John McCroskie
FOR APPROVAL There is a statutory obligation that at the end of each financial year, the SPA will prepare a report on performance and progress towards achievement of the Strategic Objectives.  This report will contain an assessment of the Police Service’s performance. The Paper is tabled in Closed Session until it is formally presented to Scottish Ministers and laid before Parliament by 27th June. 

7. I6 Progress Update (inc. commercial & contract update), Chief Superintendent Alec Hippman
FOR NOTING: Progress update following on from previous update at the  Board Meeting held on 26th March and also reference SPABM-260214017 where Members noted that there are cashable and non-cashable savings recorded for i6 but requested a better understanding and visibility of them.   Deputy Chief Constable Neil Richardson /

8. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

PUBLIC SESSION

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/5307060/SPAWed25JuneSelkirk


9. Chair’s Opening Remarks, Vic Emery, Chair, SPA
-  Apologies: None
-  Declarations of Interest
-  Matters Arising 

STANDING ITEMS
10. MINUTES for APPROVAL, Vic Emery, Chair, SPA
10.1  Minutes of Board Meeting held 30th April 2014
10.2 Minutes of Board Meeting held 30th May 2014 

11. MINUTES for NOTING, Vic Emery, Chair, SPA
11.1 Minutes of Public Finance and Investment Committee held 24th February 2014
11.2 Minutes of Public Finance and Investment Committee held 31st March 2014
11.3 Minutes of Public HR and Remuneration Committee held 11th March 2014
11.4 Minutes of Public HR and Remuneration Committee held 16th April 2014
11.5 Minutes of Complaints & Conduct Committee held 12th March 2014
11.6 Minutes of Audit & Risk Committee held 10th March 2014 

12. Review of Rolling Action Register, Vic Emery, Chair, SPA 

13. SPA Risk Register, Graham Stickle
FOR NOTING Standing Item that is reported to the SPA Board Meeting every quarter.  Last report was given at the Board Meeting held 26th March 2014.
 
14. Police Scotland Risk Register, Susan Mitchell, Director of Corporate Services, Police Scotland
FOR NOTING Standing Item that is reported to the SPA Board Meeting every quarter.  Last report was given at the Board Meeting held 26th March 2014. 

15. Health, Safety and Wellbeing, John Gillies, Director of People & Development, Police Scotland
FOR NOTING Standing Item. This paper has been updated to include additional detailed data and metrics as per the commitment undertook and noted in the action log. 

16. Human Resource, John Gillies, Director of People & Development, Police Scotland
FOR NOTING Standing Item. This paper has been updated to include additional data and metrics as per the commitment undertook and noted in the action log. 

17.  Finance, Janet Murray, Director of Financial Services, Police Scotland
FOR NOTING Standing Item.
 
18. SPA Policing Performance Report, Tom McMahon, Director of Strategy & Performance
FOR NOTING Standing Item. Performance on a Page was first tabled at the Board Meeting held 26th February 2014. This paper follows the same format.  A summary of the key findings have been incorporated into the SPA Annual Policing Review and the data presented in this paper directly links to the recently published Police Scotland Management Information Year End 2013/14. 

19. Chief Constable’s Report, Sir Stephen House, Chief Constable

FOR NOTING Standing Item.

19.1 Local Area Commander Report for Lothian and Scottish Borders Division (Verbal), Chief Superintendent Gill Imery 

20. Chief Executive’s Report, John Foley, Chief Executive Officer, SPA
FOR NOTING Standing Item.
 
21. Forensics Report, Tom Nelson, Director of Forensic Services, SPA
FOR NOTING Standing Item.
 
ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD:
22. Riverside East Office Development, Dalmarnock – Approval to Purchase, Deputy Chief Constable Neil Richardson
FOR APPROVAL: The original Full Business Case for a strategic operational police building in the West Of Scotland was Approved at the Board Meeting held 30th October 2013. This Approval was given based on the proposal from Clyde Gateway that subject to approval by the Scottish Government, the Riverside East Office Development would be LEASED to Scottish Ministers for use as a policing facility. This paper advises of changes to this arrangement and seeks Approval to PURCHASE the Riverside East Office Development in Dalmarnock from Clyde Gateway). 

23. Police Scotland Internal Scheme of Delegation, Janet Murray,Director of Financial Services, Police Scotland
FOR NOTING: Document refreshed to align to revised Scheme of Administration agreed in November 2013. 

24. I6 Progress Update, Chief Superintendent Alec Hippman
FOR NOTING: Progress update following on from previous update in 26th March and also reference SPABM-260214017 where Members noted that there are cashable and non-cashable savings recorded for i6 but requested a better understanding and visibility of them.   Deputy Chief Constable Neil Richardson/

25. Equality Outcomes and Action Plan, Deputy Chief Constable Neil Richardson/John Gillies,Director of People & Development, Police Scotland
FOR NOTING: Reference SPABM-090513-004 ‘Equality Outcomes & Action Plan’ - a paper detailing progress being made by PSoS towards achieving equality outcomes with an associated action plan on how these outcomes will be met.  The report to also include information on how SPA will monitor and scrutinise PSoS delivery of equality outcomes through the Committee/Authority structure going forward. 

26. Commonwealth Games Readiness Report, Deputy Chief Constable Steve Allen
FOR NOTING: Progress Board report to advise of policing preparations and readiness for the Commonwealth Games in July following on from previous report given to the Board on 30th April 2014. 

27. Police Scotland RAPE Briefing, Assistant Chief Constable Malcolm Graham/Detective Superintendent Louise Raphael
FOR NOTING: Reference SPABM-021013-012 and Members request for a detailed briefing of rape and Police Scotland’s response to that. 

28. Local Partnership Working: Police Scotland Partnership Audit Review Report, Assistant Chief Constable Mike McCormick
FOR NOTING: Reference SPABM-021013-016 Police Scotland to report back to the Board on the outcome of the Partnership Review. Noting on 30th April, the Community Accountability Working Group Members recommended further work was done on the Partnership Audit for presentation at June Board.
 
29. ANY OTHER BUSINESS Vic Emery, Chair

ITEMS FOR READING 
30. SPA Internal Audit Plan
PAPER FOR READING: Previously early drafts discussed at a Members Meeting and subsequently reviewed and Approved at the Audit and Risk Committee held 9th June.  This paper has been published for transparency only. 
-
31. Benefits Realisation Paper
PAPER FOR READING: Reference SPABM-300414-007, SPABM-300414-008, SPABM-300414-009 and SPABM-300414-010

agenda and papers for this meeting will be available to view on this page by Friday 20 June 2014.


APPROVED BOARD MINUTE

Approved Board Minute - 25 June 2014